Mold Illness Overview

Mold is a common component, in low levels, in many indoor and outdoor environments including our homes, workplace and schools.

Much like bacteria in soil and on surfaces, mold is a normal part of life. Exposure to high levels, however, can rapidly become a huge health hazard. Doctors are only now beginning to understand the signs/symptoms of mold illness and the mechanism of how these mold toxins trigger sickness.

Mold illness, then, is a general term we use to refer to the illness brought on by exposure to the toxic substances found in water-damaged buildings. Other names commonly used in the medical literature for this illness include Sick Building Syndrome and Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome.

Current thinking suggests that the symptoms of mold illness are the result of a chronic inflammatory response triggered by toxic compounds found in these water-damaged buildings including:

  • Mold

  • Bacteria

  • Actinomycetes

  • Mold spores

  • Mycotoxins

  • Endotoxins

  • Microbial VOCs

  • Among others...

Illness from chronic exposure to this toxic soup is probably one of the most under-recognized causes of illness today.

In the following pages you will find essential information on mold illness, common signs and symptoms and steps outlining how to get well. Also included, are important resources that will assist you in your recovery.

Dr. Patel featured as a Top Mold Doctor

Dr. Patel Featured in Paradigm Change: 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 Medical Practitioners Poll as a Top Mold Doctor

Dr. Patel voted by individuals participating in online mold groups to share information about which medical professionals have been most helpful to them.